The term “independent inquiry”, to me, means an inquiry conducted by a panel of non-industry individuals with expertise in areas of concern. In this case, welfare and abuse.
Definition of “independent” (in·de·pend·ent [in-di-pen-duhnt] adjective)
- not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
- not subject to another's authority or jurisdiction; autonomous; free: an independent businessman.
- not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
- not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
- not relying on another or others for aid or support.
That “independent” inquiry ended up comprised by a "panel" of racing industry individuals questioning of the racing industry itself.
Huh? When I monitor myself, hell, I'm pretty lenient...
It is the same in the US where someone selected to a Department of Racing post to oversee the racing industry welfare and is very intimate with, and interested in the success of, the racing industry.
And it is same all other countries where racing is not banned.
While this is my opinion, I cannot believe someone who is very closely tied to an industry that has such disregard for welfare can be objective and openly report welfare issues. They have more to lose by being honest.
That, in my world, does not fit the definition of independent.
And the verdict is typically the same – on an internal inquiry.
my note: they’d probably sell their grandmas if they got a decent price.
- “We love our dogs.”
- “We care about their welfare.”
- “We give them the best – fill in the blank – food, care, surroundings…
- Perhaps the most laughable was former TGP GM comparing that rat track kennels to the Taj Mahal.
And I think the best summarization of this came from GREY2K USA
“To summarize this bizarre review, there are no problems, except there are lots of problems, but there really are no problems, and finally there is a "clear need" to fix the problems that the industry does not have.”
Apparently the “independent” inquiry report was written by a drunken pushme-pullyou… Damn those wine margaritas....
Get serious with these inquiries and get truly independent individuals involved. That will give a true and honest report. And only that.
Shame on all those who created this farce of a report.