Sunday, February 19, 2012

What? I'm Supposed to Muzzle My Pups?

While reading through postings on Facebook, I came across a comment that truly gave me pause.  And made me scratch my head in bewilderment.

There was a discussion going on about muzzling dogs (yes – greyhounds are dogs, people).  The takeaway from the conversation was adopters should not have them unless they muzzle.

It concerns me there is that mentality that greyhounds should be muzzled, “just because”.

Sure, there are those, fresh off a track, who need monitoring.  I have 2 right now. 

In 30 years of having dogs in my life, I have never needed to muzzle one, except for an occasional nail clipping.

If you’re a smart pet parent with any level of dog acumen, you will know when and when not to muzzle a pup.  A blanket statement for muzzling a healthy pup, in the confines in your yard, is ludicrous. 

When my babes are out racing around the yard, I am there.  They’ve not been one year out of racing.  So they are monitored.  One bit of agression from one stops in a heartbeat with one word from me. 

To read that I should not have adopted my rescues because I don’t muzzle is, well, narrow-minded and ill-informed.

Dang, guess I have to send the dogs back to the rescue place. 

Seriously, my dogs race around the yard, they yammer at each other.  I am always there.  Slight chance of escalation, one word from me and they stop.

Hmmm..  Another breed specific mentality, perhaps?  Or the pet owners…

Yeah, that needs to be muzzled...

No comments: