Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Day My World Shattered

Today I lost my best friend.  The best friend I have ever known.  Today I lost my sweet, beautiful Schemie.  My life.



He grew from a 10 week old, 10 pound puppy, full of insane energy, to a 60 pound, 15 year old handsome lad, slower in step but with that same happy playfulness.  From puppy training last-in-class (how do you mess that up?  Oh yeah, pottying on the floor every class when the instructor spoke to you) to obedience training superstar, he proved himself to be the smartest, most gorgeous boy ever.


Sweet Schemie, you treated each new sister I brought home so graciously.  Always letting them enter and exit the house first.  I know this was for fear of being run over, but you accepted that and adapted and it was quite gentlemanly.  First darling Britty, then precious Berry and now happy, bouncy Dee Dee.  Each was your sissy to you and I know you loved them.  And I think you secretly loved Smokey too.  He was so much fun to chase.

Through all the trials, the surgeries (his and mine), the road trips to Indiana and Michigan, unwrapping Christmas presents, Frisbee tosses and all of life’s joys and tragedies, we were side by side.  Always.

Little man, you brought so much joy and happiness into my life.  I was so very lucky to have you in my life for 15 beautiful years.

Love of my life, center of my world…..  sleep little angel.  Watch over your sisters until I see you again.

10 comments:

Tori said...

What a lovely and loving tribute to Schemie.

Ironicus Maximus said...

So sorry for your loss.


Fred

Eric said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart lies heavy in my chest, for I know the love you shared with Schemie for so very long, but still only the blink of an eye. No matter how many days we share, it is always too few.

God be with you, Schemie, as you run free across the Bridge. Tell Ber she is loved and missed, too.

May the love you've shared and the love you now share with Dee Dee carry you through this trying time, Nancy. You are in my thoughts today and always.

Nancy said...

Thank you all, Tori, Fred and Eric.

Sadly, the time just goes too quickly.

GreyAdvocateMom said...

I'm so sorry Nancy. He was a beautiful boy.

Tom Grady said...

Nancy,

I just saw this news on the greyhound site.
Very sorry for your loss. We said goodbye to our greyhound Dash this week and can certainly and strongly feel your pain.
Schemie had something special - he was loved. And you had something special - you were loved by Schemie.

Tom Grady said...

I just saw this news on the greyhound site.
Very sorry for your loss. We said goodbye to our greyhound Dash this week and can certainly and strongly feel your pain.
Schemie had something special - he was loved. And you had something special - you were loved by Schemie.

Nancy said...

Thank you, Cyndi. He was my handsome baby.

Thank you, Tom. I read your post yesterday and cried for you. A very sad week. Thank you for your words.

Karyn Zoldan said...

Nancy

So sorry to hear about Schemie. It is so hard to let them go but they are always, always with us.

Nancy said...

Thanks, Karyn. He was one special guy. And in my heart. You are right. They are always with us.