Sunday, April 26, 2015

My Kids Are Homed, Not Re-homed, Rescued, Not Retired


Semantics.  I think sometimes people use terminology to attempt to justify what they do and their existence.

Rescued greyhounds are not re-homed.  A dog that never had a home can’t be re-homed.  They are homed.

Greyhounds coming off the track were never in a home.  Unless you consider living in a cage and running for your life a home. 

It is homing for a dog who should never have been in that place to start with.

And I find it tragic there are those who broadcast racing greyhounds off the track are “retired” greyhounds.

Those who claim these racing hounds are retired, please explain retired from what.

As a working person, retirement means I chose this profession and work so that I may one day retire.

I was not bred and born for the sole purpose of earning money. 

Nor was I judged at a young age whether or not I could “make the grade”.

There was never a thought of culling and no one ever judged me to not being good enough.

No one put my life in danger of electrocution or a broken back or a broken neck or leg where a track quack would administer pentobarbital.  Or taken off site for a shot in the head.

I wonder how many of these dogs at Shawfield “retired” and were “re-homed”.

More important, how many met the quack vet.

Shared from Grey Exploitations:

“Last night at Shawfield dog track and for the 3rd time in as many months - the traps failed to be removed from the track during a race. The hare was stopped at the third bend - resulting is sheer carnage with only 2 dogs finishing the course.
We will never know the fates of these poor dogs - as the industry is self regulated and accountable to no one.”

Sums the industry up in a nutshell.
My angels are rescued and homed.  NOT “retired” nor “re-homed”.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have summed up a greyhound's life in racing so well. Anyone who doesn't understand what sort of horrid life they have has never taken the trouble to find out or been misled by those who use the dogs for profit and throw them away when finished with them. Greys are the gentlest breed who make wonderful companions and give so much love and pleasure to those who take the trouble to get to know them. They are not a commodity to be used, they are beautiful gentle loving creatures who deserve so much better from so called humans.