Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Cards – So Far Off Topic

I have taken a sabbatical from posts for a myriad of reasons.  And tonight, I will not be reporting stupidity from TGP or horrid track, no bash on a trainer, no picking faults with a breeder.  And no reposting of endeavors of the angels from Stray Rescue, GCNM, USA DOG, MI REGAP, NZ, AU, ES, etc.  (ok, I so do miss bashing on Tommy the Tool.  I mean really…)

This is about Christmas.  And the Christmas spirit. 

So my Christmas greeting to you all.

I send Christmas cards.  I know, I know.  Old fashioned.  My mama always did.  And she wrote personalized notes on stationery in many.  I send Christmas cards.  Stationery?  What dat?

This year, I realized why this truly did matter.

I posted on FB in August an obit of a friend of my parents.  It was in August, one of two months missing from FB (and they are publicly traded??  Don’t buy stock, folks…) 
 
A tribute to a lovely lady, and a Lab mom.

 

Jo Woodruff, and her husband ‘Woody’ were dear friends of my parents.  I got to know Jo on a trip to NZ.  She was so much like my mom.

So over the years, we shared Christmas cards.  Nothing more, just a note to say hi and send love.  Mentions of our pups who have passed, new ones added.

When she passed in June, Woody sent me a copy of the piece produced for her services, with a note mentioning my years of Christmas card exchanges.  Such a touching, beautiful gesture, and a surprise to receive.  She was another angel for the dogs.

This year?  Before I had finished addressing and personalizing cards, I received a Christmas card from Woody.

And this, my friends, is why I send cards.  To someone, it truly means something to receive one.  And for the sender, sometimes you realize why it touches the heart.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, celebrate the season!
 
 


 Love from Nan, Craigie, DeeDee and the demon Smokey!
 
(Could they would keep the antlers on long enough for a picture?  Is that too much to ask?)

 

 

No comments: